We are looking for a few good fibre-folk!
Are you enthusiastic and outgoing? Do you live or work in London? Would you be comfortable shepherding a group of people around town? Can you read a map or do you regularly navigate Citymapper on your iPhone with the greatest of ease? Most importantly, do you love all things yarn and are you familiar with the London yarn shop scene? If so, we need you!
We are looking for volunteers to act as Yarn Guides to assist with The Great London Yarn Crawl on the day of the event.
- attend an orientation meeting a week or so in advance of the event so we can go over the routes and schedules for the day
- meet up with your team and co-captain promptly at your first shop of the day
- hand out event packs to your group
- ensure that everyone has a map of the route
- make sure that everyone gets from shop to shop safely and together
- ensure that your group stays on schedule
- represent the GLYC in a professional manner with each of the shops on your assigned route (including helping out with traffic flow or batched visits of your group - particularly in the smaller shops)
- help out with marketing/PR efforts by taking photos and sharing on social media and with event organisers
We know that it can be difficult taking charge of a group of people that you don't know, but we're also looking for people who feel comfortable meeting the following expectations:
- communicating with event organisers and the other co-captains effectively
- welcoming all team members and making them feel included
- managing potentially divergent group (e.g. some people wanting to stay and shop longer and other people wanting to go grab a coffee)
- maintaining an upbeat attitude
- having a fabulous time yarn (and fibre! and fabric!) shopping!
Rest assured, you will not be doing this big job alone! Each group will have two Yarn Guides to share the load and get everyone through the routes and to the after-party safely and happily. And for being such sooper-dooper helpers here's what you can expect from us:
- FREE participation in the event! (that's right, you can be a volunteer and still shop!)
- the GLYC event pack, same as all the participants
- an official Yarn Guide t-shirt
- and our eternal devotion and many, MANY thanks from us
If you're interested in being a Yarn Guide, please contact Allison and Rachel at email@example.com with a short note telling us about yourself. Include any volunteering experience and crafty details! And make sure you put 2014 Volunteer in the subject line of your email so we can contact you straight away with more details. Our goal is to have all volunteers in place by the end of the summer, when we will send out more information to the Team Captains about their routes and team mates.
One final note: Because we're not sure how many people will come forward as volunteers, or how quickly ticket sales will go, we'd like to suggest that if there's a particular route that you're interested in being on that you go ahead and purchase a ticket for that route. If you do end up as one of our volunteers, we will refund you the registration fee!